Sometimes it seems that you’ve seen so much in this life that nothing will be able to surprise you ever again. And then you accidentally overheard someone mention something amazing, like the fact that hippopotamus milk is actually pink. That’s right.
1.We picked out a few more amazing facts of this kind for you. There’s not a single one that won’t amaze you!
2.Honey never goes off. Not after one year, not after two – never.
3.The Turritopsis Nutricula jellyfish is the only known organism on Earth which is biologically immortal.
4.The heart of a blue whale is so massive that a human being can swim through its arteries.
5.Yet its throat is no bigger than a saucer.
6.For every person in the world there are around 1.6 million ants. The overall weight of all these ants is equal to the combined weight of the world’s human population.
7.An octopus has three hearts.
8.Originally, Feng shui was the art of choosing an appropriate place for a grave.
9.On Saturn and Jupiter, rain is made from diamonds.
10.And this what the sky would look like if Jupiter was the same distance from the Earth as the Moon.
11.There are ten times more bacteria in the human body than there are cells.
12.The likelihood that the glass of water you’re drinking contains a molecule of water taht once passed through a dinosaur is about 100%.
13.Frankenstein was the name of the creator, not the monster.
14.Catfish have 27,000 taste buds. This is four times more than what human beings have.
15.This is what sand looks like under a microscope:
16.A stereotypical gold fish bowl is actually the worst kind of home for them.
17.Reading in poor lighting or using a computer in the dark does not in fact have any negative effects on your vision.
18.Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.
19.In Cyprus, Santa Claus is called Basil.
20.No one has ever managed to tame an African elephant.
21.The image on the left is what a candle looks like when it burns on Earth; on the right this is how it burns in zero-gravity, as seen on the space station Mir.
22. A lack of sleep makes people see enemies all around them.
23. The wrinkles that appear on the skin of your hands (after taking a bath, for example) play an important role. This phenomenon is caused by the fact that when your body encounters an increased amount of moisture it understands that the environment might be slippery. So the skin on your hands immediately begins to change in a way that will make it easier for you to grip smooth surfaces.
24. The groove between the nose and upper lip is called the philtrum. This tiny indent is a residual reminder of time spent in your mother’s womb. The two sides of your face develop independently of one another and come to meet in the middle of your face, creating the philtrum. When these two sides fail to fuse properly, which happens in one out of every 750 births, the result is a cleft palate.
25. Round buttocks were determined by the evolution process. The main occupation of our ancestors was hunting and in order to catch the prey or at least to run fast well-built buttocks were a great thing for such a task.
26. Women’s hearts beat faster, but men’s hearts are larger.
26 Curious Facts Showing How Little We Know About This World